Summer Intership

I'm hoping and waiting for something to sing
Like the angels in heaven, or the bums on the street
Hoping for love to find a new voice
The song that needs singing has already been sung before

2 Timothy 4:2 - Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction.

These are words I will always want to live by... I hope you get a chance to follow me during the 10 weeks I spend in Richmond, VA at Church Hill Activities and Tutoring creating relationships and serving the Lord. I will try and update it on a daily basis so that you can follow my journey.

Thank you all for your prayers and support!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Real Life


I have always had a meal to eat. The reality behind Church Hill and the world is that not everyone gets those same basic needs. About a week ago, a few children from the day camp were brought to the lighthouse to eat with the boys and me for lunch. A leader from the camp had asked me if that was “ok” and I said “absolutely.” A few moments later I was pulled aside and told that these children had not eaten for almost two days. REAL LIFE. Remember these are two CHILDREN. I could not believe that this was the case, but I immediately told the boys to “suck it up” and let our guests take as much as they want before we eat. I explain to the boys the scenario and they understood completely and were generous with the meal. We sat and ate lunch as two children devoured food. I was later told that there were situations at home that wouldn’t allow for the children to eat as a punishment for misbehavior.

Since I have been here, I have seen poverty, drugs, alcohol and many devastating things, but this topped them all. FOOD is a basic need for humans to survive and they had gone without it. I wanted to rap my arms around them and tell them that they have a Savior who loves them and will always care for them even in times like these. He is our Manna and we look to Him for the bread of life even when we have no temporary food here on earth.

Stories like these are what I knew I would encounter, but when you put a face on the story and when you develop relationships with these students and they are disappointed and hurt on a daily basis, it is exhausting! You want to be there for each and every kid; every waking moment, but that would be taking over for the Lord and I know I don’t have the strength to do it. Trying to do everything and trying to fix all the problems is just a lack of faith. The Lord can reconcile, mend and draw people closer to Him in dire times. He did that with me and I know how valuable that time is.

Almost every other day, I here of a story that breaks my heart. A child goes without food, a parent is an alcoholic, or a parent isn’t even there. All these heartaches are things children shouldn’t have to deal with, but yet they do. You can weep for them, hang out with them and care for them, but the most important thing that I have learned is to be an example of Christ in their life. Freakin’ hard! But I try! If they see, hear and live with people trying to be like Christ, they can understand how real He is and how powerful His love is.

Nehemiah’s Workshop has been off an on for the past two weeks because we completed our orders and we are trying to get new ones. This is a difficult task for the boys, but they are getting better and since they work off commission they “want that money!” We just finished a Pirates Toy Chest (that looks awesome!), some more Cornhole sets and picnic tables. I’m starting to get pretty good in the shop and I credit it to my Crouch genes (Papa Larry especially!) I have pictures that I will try and share soon. It has been a blessing to be in the shop, but some of my favorite times are our devotion time in the morning and the times we just go out to dinner or hang out outside of “CHAT.” Time to learn about REAL LIFE and the struggles both AJ and JaQuon face. The next goal of mine is to get them to write down the story of their life and share it with me. I believe that the two things you have in your life are “your story” and God’s Love. Those things will remain constant and will give you the power to share the Gospel with people. (Stole that one from you Papa Mike).

Still lovin’ my time here, but it has taking a toll on me. Times of frustration, exhaustion, and just plain wanting to give up. The interns and I say “4th Quarter” or “dig deep” to each other in times when you can see the “give up” in people. It reminds me to rely on God when I got nothing left in the tank. And usually, the Lord taps into the “extra stuff” in me and I get through the day! It proves to me that He is real and that He is powerful.

So it’s going good and little time left. Trying to soak up every last minute because I never know when I will feel like this again! Tomorrow is King’s Dominion (a theme park) with the kids and then on Friday, the intern retreat, which is at a lake house (where I will not be inside for one second, on purpose!). I will be fishing, walking, and just spending some quite time with the Lord and His creation. NOTHING BETTER! I am so excited about both experiences and cannot wait for them.

“Because of your great compassion you did not abandon them in the wilderness. By day the pillar of cloud did not fail to guide them on their path, nor the pillar of fire by night to shine on the way they were to take. You gave your good Spirit to instruct them. You did not withhold your manna from their mouths, and you gave them water for their thirst. For forty years you sustained them in the wilderness; they lacked nothing, their clothes did not wear out nor did their feet become swollen.

-       Nehemiah 9:19-21

Peace and Love,
Dirty Handz

PS Hopefully, pictures will come in the next one!

1 comment:

  1. Tyler, This is great and it's encouraging how God is using this time in your life. We love you and look forward to seeing you soon.

    PS...a roommate in Bible College has a great blog you might want to check out as well.
    http://glimpsesofgrace.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete