Summer Intership

I'm hoping and waiting for something to sing
Like the angels in heaven, or the bums on the street
Hoping for love to find a new voice
The song that needs singing has already been sung before

2 Timothy 4:2 - Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction.

These are words I will always want to live by... I hope you get a chance to follow me during the 10 weeks I spend in Richmond, VA at Church Hill Activities and Tutoring creating relationships and serving the Lord. I will try and update it on a daily basis so that you can follow my journey.

Thank you all for your prayers and support!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I'm tired!


This one will be short because I am exhausted.

I woke up and had devotion at the lighthouse. The program director, Murray Withrow, gave his testimony and we read a few passages from scripture. Then for a majority of the day we did a scavenger hunt around Church Hill and parts of Richmond on bikes. By the way… it was 97 degrees and when they say “Church Hill”, that actually means you are on a hill. So exploring the neighborhood was a lot of fun, but also very tiring.

Got back and showered just in time for the first tutoring session with the kids. It goes; meet and greet (30 min.), snack time (30 min.), gathering (30 min.), actual one-on-one tutoring (1 hour), and dismissal. Lots of fun during this time interacting with the kids of CHAT. These kids are tons of work, but are great people to talk to and learn about. Each student is very different and can offer something very unique to the table. My student was named Jaquon aka Nemo. He is in 8th grade and is excited to get to high school next year. Most students in Church Hill are extremely poor readers and one-thing CHAT stresses to us is the importance of getting these students to read as much as possible. So that is what “Nemo” and I did! We read for almost the entire hour and he is probably just behind reading level, but is not far off. He has plenty of potential and looks like a focused young kid. I really hope I can stick with him and get to know him better.

Like I have said before, I am willing, more than I ever have, for God to use me in any capacity He needs. I want to work hard for Him and these kids so that they can see the Lord’s love through me. I’m not concerned about if they will like me, but more concerned that they can see the Lord’s love for them.

4 hours of biking up and down hills has made me tired so goodnight and tomorrow I will read this verse when I wake up, “This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.” - Psalm 118:24… to remind me the significance of every second and how we should not waste it.

1 comment:

  1. So excited to read each day your journal and what you are learning. You have no idea what a proud parent feels when they read this about their son! Can't wait to read tomorrow- Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete