Summer Intership

I'm hoping and waiting for something to sing
Like the angels in heaven, or the bums on the street
Hoping for love to find a new voice
The song that needs singing has already been sung before

2 Timothy 4:2 - Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction.

These are words I will always want to live by... I hope you get a chance to follow me during the 10 weeks I spend in Richmond, VA at Church Hill Activities and Tutoring creating relationships and serving the Lord. I will try and update it on a daily basis so that you can follow my journey.

Thank you all for your prayers and support!

Monday, May 30, 2011

Community!


Today started off with a delicious breakfast at one of the leaders home with all the interns. Before we left, the man who owned the home described a unique picture of Fredrick Douglas on the wall that was placed directly in front of you as soon as you entered. He explained how much this man had inspired him to work hard and serve his community. This story really opened to my eyes to the diverse history some may share and how this rich history can motivate people, even to this day. This stuck with me all day.

We had lunch at the lighthouse (which is the hub for CHAT that is located in a home in the middle of Church Hill) and after lunch we got to meet Percy Strickland. Percy is the founder and CEO of CHAT and in the basement of the lighthouse; we sat and discussed a passage of scripture to prepare us for these ten weeks (John 13:1-17). I took some notes so hopefully you will be able to understand what I am talking about (it might help to read the passage). He spoke about authentic relationships and community, but his biggest point with all of that was by stating that Jesus came to dwell amongst men and we should choose to dwell amongst each other. Live in the place that you will serve, or even the opposite, is what community is all about. Breaking bread, laughing, crying, fellowship and serving one another is what the Lord intended for groups of people to do.

We went on to read this passage and basically the idea behind this passage is showing how the Lord designed and constructed Jesus’ life for his glory and how Jesus dwelt amongst men and served them even as sinners. Jesus knew the outcome of his life and still decided to serve the same people that would betray him. Percy stated during this discussion that, “regardless of the outcome, we are called to serve,” and that really stuck with me. The idea that a person may not appreciate all that you are doing for them or your service may not get credit, but we are still called to do the will of God and follow Jesus’ example. In this passage, Jesus shows his servanthood by washing the feet of the disciples and Percy and the leaders decided they would do the same. Percy washed my feet and prayed with me in that moment (that picture of Percy washing my feet will be engrained in me for the rest of my life) and showed an example of what Jesus would do. An incredible moment!

After the discussion and some more briefing on the next couple of weeks, the interns started to get the lighthouse ready for a Memorial Day cookout with the town of Church Hill. Kids and families filled the streets and in an empty lot I saw true and genuine community. Children running around, people laughing, good food being served, and people caring for one another. For a moment, I stood and just soaked it in because you don’t often see a community actually get together which such love and focus on the Lord. Life is not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, in Church Hill, but CHAT is working on really dedicating every resource into making this a community that God intended.

So far I love what I see and I hope that I can influence lives and that I can be influenced.

Wash someone’s feet today! Serve! (John 13:1-17)

No comments:

Post a Comment