Summer Intership

I'm hoping and waiting for something to sing
Like the angels in heaven, or the bums on the street
Hoping for love to find a new voice
The song that needs singing has already been sung before

2 Timothy 4:2 - Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction.

These are words I will always want to live by... I hope you get a chance to follow me during the 10 weeks I spend in Richmond, VA at Church Hill Activities and Tutoring creating relationships and serving the Lord. I will try and update it on a daily basis so that you can follow my journey.

Thank you all for your prayers and support!

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Family Time!


So today I woke up at 7:30 AM to both of the kids, Jack and Clark, running around. I did fall back asleep, thank the Lord! My real wake up time was around 10am. I woke to an empty house, but soon realized some people were outside. From 10 to 3 o’clock, I help build the most legit playhouse the world has ever seen. It was myself, Matt (my host father) and his father working on this house, drilling, sawing and reading a builders manual printed off the internet. This playhouse, when finished, will be 2 stories and will have a vaulted roof with a ladder leading you onto the second story.  Pretty freakin’ sweet!

While the men were doing this, the kids and the rest of the family (Catherine – my host mother, Matt’s mother, and Matt’s younger sister) were on a bike ride. I met them all and we had a delicious lunch together outside in the middle of building. I really started to feel at home once I had joined in.

Later that evening, I went to East End Fellowship Church with my host family and met some of the interns and got to see what Church Hill’s community was all about. It was a great service and you can tell the sense of pride and enthusiasm this town has for one another and how much they are looking to make an impact in the community. The church was located in a place called Robinson Theater, which is an old movie theater that has been transformed into a place to gather and worship the Lord. I think someone forget to turn on the air conditioning, though!

After church, they feed everyone that goes, but my family decided to go grab a bite to eat somewhere else. We went to a little BBQ place near downtown Richmond and ate this meal on the top of the hill (Church Hill) overlooking the historic city of Richmond. It was amazing! (Wish I could take pictures, but at the moment, my camera on my phone does not work… I’m gonna try and fix that) We played in the park with the kids and really enjoy each other’s company. I’m learning so much about my family and cannot wait to build relationships with them.

The last part of my day concluded with a little get together with most of the interns at one of there homes. I was the first to arrive at the house, but once people started to come in, I could tell I would feel comfortable around these people and that I could mesh with them well. We sat around and mingled and played games, but it was a great chance to get to know these people that I will be spending A LOT of time with.

Great day! I built a playhouse, worshipped the Lord, had a beautiful dinner with some new people in a new town, and met some people with the same passion as me. Overall… success!

Let’s see what tomorrow holds! Proverbs 16:9

No comments:

Post a Comment