Summer Intership

I'm hoping and waiting for something to sing
Like the angels in heaven, or the bums on the street
Hoping for love to find a new voice
The song that needs singing has already been sung before

2 Timothy 4:2 - Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction.

These are words I will always want to live by... I hope you get a chance to follow me during the 10 weeks I spend in Richmond, VA at Church Hill Activities and Tutoring creating relationships and serving the Lord. I will try and update it on a daily basis so that you can follow my journey.

Thank you all for your prayers and support!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Another day in His presence


“Wake up!!!” Those were the words that popped into my head at 8:57. I needed to be at the lighthouse (which is a 5 min bike ride from my house) at 9am. I was late again!!! Got to the lighthouse and did devotions (like every morning) with the interns. A year-long intern spoke about anger. What does it mean to be angry? Is anger a sin? Is conflict good, sometimes? What is reconciliation? Many of these questions were thrown around and most were discussed in detail. It is a difficult subject and I think sometimes God does that so we really have to dive into the Word. (What a valuable resource… by the way.)

Back to planning. After devotions it was about planning for our time with the students. I made a daily schedule with certain things I want to get accomplished. Devotions, math worksheets, basketball, and most importantly… WORKING. I have a tentative schedule for every day and what it should look like, with time so that the apprentices and I can bond, but also for us to really work hard at what we set out to do.

Lunch with Mackenzie (Mac and Cheese, obviously)

Back to planning and helping out at the lighthouse.

Then, to one of the intern’s house with the street leaders (student leaders –high schoolers) and the apprentices (students in entrepreneurship program). Swam, played corn hole and some ball, and just had a good time. This was a great time to connect on a more informal level with all the high school leaders and really just kick back and chill.

One of my favorite parts of the week is Wednesday night community group, here at the Illian’s house. I am so blessed to be put with this couple and really enjoy their company, even though I never get to see them. I always get home when the house is asleep and I am gone, in the morning, within 2 seconds of being downstairs, rushing out of the house. Community group is with a couple other people, including Mackenzie, and it is a time to reflect on what the sermon was on Sunday. This is so helpful to re-evaluate what you heard at church, a few days later, after the words have sunk in and you have had time to meditate on it. We had a great discussion that furthered my understanding on Matthew 7:1-7 and gave such clarity to the passage as a whole.

Laundry. Chill. Blog. Bed.

Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,”
even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.

Psalm 139:7-12

Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment