Summer Intership

I'm hoping and waiting for something to sing
Like the angels in heaven, or the bums on the street
Hoping for love to find a new voice
The song that needs singing has already been sung before

2 Timothy 4:2 - Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction.

These are words I will always want to live by... I hope you get a chance to follow me during the 10 weeks I spend in Richmond, VA at Church Hill Activities and Tutoring creating relationships and serving the Lord. I will try and update it on a daily basis so that you can follow my journey.

Thank you all for your prayers and support!

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Ask, Seek, Knock...


All of these things are types of need. Corey (one of the pastors at East End Fellowship), spoke on Matthew 7:7-11 and how it related to God’s generous grace. He started off telling us that God expects child like need from us, so that he can love us fully. The verses before this, tell us that we are messy and filthy in the eyes of God, but (my pastor in Tallahassee always says that “but” in the Bible is his favorite words to hear because the Lord is changing from justice to forgiveness) these verses reflect that there’s help! HE WILL MEET YOUR NEEDS… and that is not always an easy thing to believe, but one thing I know is that it is truth. He does not lie in His promises. We often think that He brings us a stone, when really He has brought us the bread to live sufficiently. Corey finished his sermon explaining that Jesus is not a genie, but a father who is righteous and has a far greater plan for you than you could possibly understand.

Since that time on Sunday, I have been asking, seeking and knocking. One thing that I have never mentioned in this blog is how, for some odd reason, God has given these 16 interns a heart of PRAYER. (I personally believe it has been infectious to see how East End Fellowship and CHAT has put an emphasis on this and as a result the interns just followed by example.) Every day we start with devotions and seeking the Lord’s face.

“I don't wanna talk about Jesus
Just wanna see his face
The trees are swinging
Like hangin' men
And I just wanna see his face

And rapture, sweet rapture
Won't you lay your hands on me
For I am blind”
-       A.A. Bondy, “Rapture (Sweet Rapture)”

This is a verse from one of my favorite artists. It is simple… he is tired of talking about Jesus, he just wants a relationship with Him.

Before we (interns) do anything (and I mean anything) we “dap it up,” which means to pray. We have also done a lot of corporate prayer on different hills overlooking the city, which has been an incredible experience. I believe that it has brought our group a lot closer and has given us a sense of peace and focus throughout our differences and issues.

When we have drawn closer to Him, we have grown stronger together.

The past two days have been about planning and diving deeper into these students’ lives. I love living and hanging out with these people. Everyday I draw closer to the kids and each moment gives me more insight into their lives and how I can be of influence. Sometimes just loving on a kid is just what they need. Not a preacher, not another person telling them they did something wrong, not someone who ignores there issues, but someone to sit quietly with them. Time with someone (actual time and not the routine of the day) is far more valuable to the people of Church Hill than any other resource.

On Tuesday’s tutoring session, after a meeting with staff about discipline, I met a student who had just showed up for tutoring for the first time, in a long time. We always have some time for the students to play outside before we get started. We play basketball, tag and mostly it is just kids running around and it kinda looks like chaos! Well, instantly this student was already getting into fights with other students and just didn’t seem to be happy to be there. I took him aside a few times to correct something he did and I did my best to listen to him. Well… I was not getting anywhere with this guy. I almost had given up on him when all of the sudden the Lord gave me one more opportunity (and I am thankful He did). As another intern was trying to correct him again, he asked for me to come over and talk to him. I was reluctant, but did anyway. I bent down and spoke to the kid in a soft voice and just let him know that when he has an issue he can come to me and I will help him through it. From that point forward that kid just wanted to stay by my side and it finally felt like someone was gonna look out for him. I asked Mackenzie if I could tutor this specific kid and he was all about it. As they called names for students matched up with tutors, he was ecstatic to get me for his tutor. Most of the time we do homework or read a book that they have been reading, but instead I chose to go upstairs and just play a game with him. We had a blast and in between games we just talked. Just talked… it was simple for me, but I could see how each word we spoke to each other was like a brick from his wall being taken down. Needless to say, there were more times to discipline him, but he enjoyed the time we spent and I hope I can follow up with him.

I gave you this story because it was an “ask, seek, knock” moment. Everyday I pray for moments like that. “God, open a door so I can experience life with one of these kids.” It is a plea with God so that I will remain faithful to his will. He answered! And almost more importantly… I did not resist and I followed his direction. I did not ignore the kid, when in my heart I really want to.

I can’t sit here and say that God works the same in all situations, but just remember that God’s word is true and he says,

“Ask and it will be given to you;
seek and you will find;
knock and the door will be opened to you.”

I hope that we all can see when he does open that door and we do not ignore his direction in our lives.

If we are faithless,
he remains faithful,
for he cannot disown himself.
- 2 Timothy 2:13

Peace and Love,
Dirty Hands

1 comment:

  1. Tyler....great stuff; I'm sure you and the other interns are growing spiritually. Awesome. What are you finding out about the relationship with the Lord Jesus, the kids you are mentoring have? I would guess there are certainly opportunities to share with them. Love you and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete