Summer Intership

I'm hoping and waiting for something to sing
Like the angels in heaven, or the bums on the street
Hoping for love to find a new voice
The song that needs singing has already been sung before

2 Timothy 4:2 - Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction.

These are words I will always want to live by... I hope you get a chance to follow me during the 10 weeks I spend in Richmond, VA at Church Hill Activities and Tutoring creating relationships and serving the Lord. I will try and update it on a daily basis so that you can follow my journey.

Thank you all for your prayers and support!

Monday, June 20, 2011

Being weak...

This idea of “being weak” has taken on multiple meanings this week. First, it was learning about the weakness I have in my own life, then about relying on the Lord in those weaknesses and finally about, just being physically weak.

Wednesday –
Another day of planning. It was a day that I saw the weakness in my own faith. The idea that laziness and complacency can sneak up in the most unexpected ways. One moment you can seem focused on what the Lord has planned for you and then the next you can see how quickly you have strayed away from it for your own personal reasons. In these selfish acts, people create excuses and explanations for what they are doing, but the Lord can smack you in the face and let you know that these are not His ways, but your own ways.

Thursday –
Another day of planning and coming to grips with my weaknesses. The big part of my day was the Bible study with some of the interns in which the speaker spoke about Thessalonians 2:1-12. It is mainly about how humans were not created for glory… God called us into His glory. At the end of his discussion about this passage, the idea that Christians should focus on the moments in life and being weak and humble in these moments can prove to be such a valuable asset into sharing your faith and creating a great place for the cross to enter your story. When you are vulnerable and weak, then Christ can enter the picture and lead your redemption and have all the glory, but when you are prideful the cross loses its power. We are weak in all things… not just “oh, I have a weakness here and here,” but in all aspects we have sin in our lives that cannot be covered without the blood of Christ. I look at myself and see things that I might exceed in, but even understanding that in moments I am weak even in those good things, I remember the cross and how I can never measure up to who Christ is.

Ok, so that might be confusing, but what I am trying to say is that Christians, eventually in there walk, paint a picture of themselves as only needing help in this or that area, but instead we should understand that in all areas of our life, we have some weak moments and even when we feel like we got some stuff together… WE REALLY DON’T! That might not seem like a positive message and will bring you down, but I think that when we are honest with are failures then we are more vulnerable with them to God and He then can transform us into His image. Understanding our failures only can increase our love for Christ because of what Jesus did on Calvary for us.

Friday –
Did not move from my bed all day… Extremely sick! I needed my Mommy to take care of me, but my host mom did a great job! This is what I was talking about when I said physically weak at the beginning.

Saturday –
Drove to Camp Kerr Lake in North Carolina and hung out with the kids. Set up tents, played basketball, went tubing in the lake and cooked out. Was still a little sick and tried my best to have a good time with the kids.

Sunday –
Woke up and drove home. Got sick again and stayed in bed all day. Poopie!

Monday –
Had lunch with the interns. Each week we have a book that we are supposed to read and then each Monday we come together in certain groups and talk about the book. This week was Part 2 of “With Justice for All.” We came together and spoke about the book and the ideas it shares about urban ministry. I really enjoyed that we took things we liked from the book, but that we weren’t afraid to point out things we felt like weren’t in line with our own beliefs. That just shows me that we are all strong in our faith to discern different truths and fallacies we see. Very important! And can only be obtain with an obedient relationship with Christ. Had tutoring with the High School Mix and I see a lot of potential in that group. They are a group that lacks focus and attentiveness, but I hope the Lord can transform their hearts into “seekers” and “finders” for the Lord. Went to dinner at Chick-fil-a with Mackenzie and some of the boys from tutoring. Then finished the day with some corporate prayer with the interns.

So this is a recap of the last few days…

Feel like time is flying by here and I want to soak it all up. I hope this sickness I had is completely gone and that I can get back to work.

Weakness is something that has been on my heart this past week. In terms of physical weakness and emotional and spiritual weakness. These things are what God offers hope for. I honestly cannot find ways to combat my problems and I know that He is there to guide in direct me. Overcoming these sins and failures in my own life will be an ongoing struggle for the rest of my life, but I am reassured that if I never become complacent in my walk with Him then He will provide me with tools to become a better man.

You are witnesses, and so is God, of how holy, righteous and blameless we were among you who believed. For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory.
-       I Thessalonians 2:10-12

Peace and Love,
Dirty Hands

1 comment:

  1. 2 Corinthians 12:10
    New International Version (NIV)
    10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
    MMP
    2 Chron. 16:9
    TWBD

    ReplyDelete