Summer Intership

I'm hoping and waiting for something to sing
Like the angels in heaven, or the bums on the street
Hoping for love to find a new voice
The song that needs singing has already been sung before

2 Timothy 4:2 - Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction.

These are words I will always want to live by... I hope you get a chance to follow me during the 10 weeks I spend in Richmond, VA at Church Hill Activities and Tutoring creating relationships and serving the Lord. I will try and update it on a daily basis so that you can follow my journey.

Thank you all for your prayers and support!

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Nehemiah's Workshop


Me, AJ and JaQuan have been doing work! We started working in our Entrepreneurship program on Wednesday and have been in the workshop from 9am – 4 pm. This program is open for two students to get some school credit while also making some money and learning how to run a business.

Our business is called Nehemiah’s workshop, which is a wood working shop on Marshall St. and 27th St. in Church Hill. Everyday after 8am devotions we go to the shop and take care of business. We build different products like picnic tables, park benches, corn hole sets, and various wood items. Nothing is sold out of the shop, but people place orders and we schedule dates to make them. This summer, CHAT has a new approach on apprentice’s role in the shop. They are now the owners and need to create every aspect of the business and need to be involved in every decision that is made.

Things like a motto (“Our wood is good!”) and a mission statement (Building the needs of Richmond. Building lives. Building a future.) are all completed and now we are getting to work. On Wednesday we cleaned the shop and bought new supplies at Lowe’s and a local hardware store in town. These are great learning experiences for me and the boys to have because we learn about all the ends and outs of a business and how much work it takes to get everything done. CHAT is guiding us through this process, but the boys are leaders and they are taking control of this business.

The Lord is working and I pray everyday and night that He will give me the strength to focus on Him and serve, both AJ and JaQuan, during this time. All of us have been connecting and having a good time in the shop and I hope for this time to continue. Please pray for boys and there openness to hear the truth of the Word and put it to good use. Both of the apprentices, individually, have so much potential and can be great men of God with the right guidance direction. I hope I can be part of that and in the same time, I know I will learn so much from them, along the way.

14 When he would not be dissuaded, we gave up and said, “The Lord’s will be done.”
-       Acts 21:14

Peace and Love,
Dirty Hands

No comments:

Post a Comment