Summer Intership

I'm hoping and waiting for something to sing
Like the angels in heaven, or the bums on the street
Hoping for love to find a new voice
The song that needs singing has already been sung before

2 Timothy 4:2 - Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction.

These are words I will always want to live by... I hope you get a chance to follow me during the 10 weeks I spend in Richmond, VA at Church Hill Activities and Tutoring creating relationships and serving the Lord. I will try and update it on a daily basis so that you can follow my journey.

Thank you all for your prayers and support!

Monday, June 27, 2011

You learn something new each day... Maybe even a few things!


Alright… well… I am going to do things a little different since it has been a while since I have posted something. A lot happens in one day at CHAT and I will try and keep up with the blogs as much as possible.

So I am going to let you know what I have been learning over the past few days and give a brief example into how God stepped in and taught me something through each experience.

The Lord taught me frustration will occur, but where do we go with it and how does God give us peace

Ex. Not knowing! That is tough for me. Not understanding something and being expected to understand and function is a thing that is difficult. I like for someone to show me the ropes and give me the tools and then I can go forth. Not a big fan of someone expecting for me to pick things up in a moment and when they have done things for a while. At so points, I was overwhelmed with Nehemiah’s workshop and what to do there. I was given so much responsibility and wasn’t sure what to do with it. On top of that, I was worn out and confused on what God was doing with me. Ah! But luckily there is a Mediator and comfort and peace come through Him. After work on Friday, I needed a weekend to reflect and figure out what the Lord wanted from me. It was simple. Keep doing what your doing and stay obedient to His word and His direction. I often complicate the Lord’s plan by doing things for my own glory and its nice to step back and watch God work and not get in the way. We are His hands and feet, but He is the brains of this whole organization.

Patience is a virtue… Virtue is a grace… Altogether they make a lovely face.

Still think that is a cheesy and confusing phrase when you think about it, but it always reminds me to be patience. I have my time and the Lord has His. Wow!, do I need to remind myself to be put on His time zone some times! I often have the plan set out and almost every time, that plan is shifted and maybe even flipped upside down. I asked God many things about my birthday, about scheduling for Nehemiah’s Workshop, and just about my plans for life in general. Everyone of them were flipped upside down and God said, “slow down, bobby… I got it!” My dad always taught me about the story of the tortoise and the hare and how the tortoise eventually wins the race because he is slow and steady, and as my dad would say, “gets the job done.” I’m not sure how biblical that story is… (I would like to think it is) but like the cheesy phrase, it reminds me that when your doing, doing, doing, sometimes your need to slow down and look up! The Lord has His time and your have yours and I promise… It is better to move to the His time zone and let Him work.

A friend is pretty valuable!

I have plenty of friends here… how refreshing that is… let me tell you! These 15 other interns and some of the leaders in CHAT have been there for me and given me a great time to fellowship and learn from. Everyday I find something new about these people and each time, it makes me stronger in my walk and gives me hope that other peers have the desire to serve the Lord. We often have corporate, spontaneous prayer sessions that we do at many of the parks around town. I am not always a fan of corporate prayer because I love to emphasize the importance of personal time with God. I understand the value of it so much better now and am starting to enjoy it once again. It has been a time for us to come together and share ideas about life, how to help a student out, how to correctly discipline a student with love and how to learn from one another. How authentic our time has been together! We are vulnerable with one another and we gain so much respect for one another. This is the first time I can say that with my peers I have really practiced, “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” (Proverbs 27:17) I am so lucky to have friends who cherish the Gospel like we should.

So… I probably learned some more valuable life lessons (I get a handful a day!), but these are the main ones I thought I would share with you.

Also learned a lot about the Sabbath today and don’t think I am, on any level, able to give good advice on it, but I think it is something we should all place a little higher on the priority scale. I mean for GOODNESS SAKE’S… the Lord said we could have a day of rest. I am going to jump all over that! Take a look at some of the verses on the Sabbath and see what you think.

“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.”
-       2 Corinthians 1:3-7

Peace and Love,
Dirty Hands

No comments:

Post a Comment